Import-Export Shipping Clerk
Job Title: Import-Export Shipping Clerk
Department: Supply Chain
Work Pattern: Monday – Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm
Reporting to: Distribution Team Leader
Responsible for (staff): N/A
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The job holder will report into the Distribution Team Leader, supporting both Tredegar and Oakdale Warehouse receipt and despatch Operations.
The main purpose of the role is to help ensure a world class and continuously improving import receipt and despatch service to the PCI client base for all ambient and cold chain despatches. Simplistically, the role will ensure through client orientated practices that PCI provides product to the right place, at the right time, in the right quantity, in the right shipping system using the right courier whilst complying with all HMRC procedures.
- As the Import-Export Shipping Clerk the job holder will be required to receipt and Process Internal and External Client Import/Export shipment requests.
- Provision of clearance instructions for Imports to the UK of goods.
- Responsible for collection and retention of Import Documentation
- Resolve commodity code issues and general customs formalities on an independent basis.
- Management of the IPR process. Keep all paperwork in line with HMRC guidelines and ensure IPR exports are correct. The job holder will be required to provide the relevant information to the Finance department to allow correct HMRC submissions.
- Management of Goods for Test process.
- Communicate with Finance department regarding C79 queries.
- The timely and accurate filing and administration of all despatch documentation is an important aspect of the job requirements. It is important despatch documentation tracking and retrieval can be undertaken swiftly and accurately to ensure a responsive service to both internal and external customers and ensure internal matrices are up to date.
- A good working knowledge of despatch arrangements, Couriers, Customs Agents, and Freight Forwarders is required as well as import/export arrangements. The job holder is required to undertake the pre-approvals of despatch export documentation including making bookings on Courier on line booking systems including generating EUR-1 forms.
- CSU mail system is an important electronic tool that the job holder will be required to use throughout the day and to extract information and orders as required. The Import-Export Shipping Clerk will be required to generate and administer relevant client despatch paperwork and the DJCs for the Logistics despatch Technicians and be able to train others in these processes.
- Regular communication with a variety of both internal and external despatch stakeholders e.g. courier companies, clients and Government Officials is required throughout the day using the recognized mediums of telephone, fax, email and face to face. In particular working closely with the PM & Commercial services teams, finance, Logistics colleagues and other Operational personnel at all levels. An excellent and confident telephone manner is required.
- The Import-Export Shipping Clerk will be expected to provide administrative support to the Distribution Team Leader.
- To undertake specific projects as and when required within the scope of the job-holder’s responsibilities and capabilities to summarise key despatch monthly activities and generate monthly despatch report information for the Logistics Manager as necessary.
- To work with minimal levels of supervision and to identify self-development needs in conjunction with the Distribution Team Leader. With the Distribution Team Leader identify and achieve continuous process improvements relating to aspects of the work undertaken and Logistics as a whole. To help identify within the Penn supply chain despatch, opportunities to improve service against customer contracts, reduce costs and achieve maximum efficiency.
The job holder occupies an important part of the Logistics team and will be expected at all times to operate with the high standards of performance and professionalism expected. The Import-Export Shipping Clerk will be expected to undertake all reasonable management requests as required and to adhere to all H&S and Environmental standards and instructions.
- 4 GCSE’s at grade C or above including Maths, English and Science or equivalent
- Demonstrated relevant experience of Import/Export freight gained within Logistics, Transport or Distribution.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft applications